One ring scam or One ring hang up is a phone scam which is targeted at wireless consumers. If you receive a call from an unfamiliar area code, you may want not to answer the call or return the call. These types of calls will appear to be domestic number ( like an telemarketing number), but are associated with international pay-per-call phone numbers.
According to FTC, scammers use auto-dialers to call your cell phone and disconnect after one ring, not giving you enough time to answer the call. Idea behind is that scammers want you to return the call. If you return the phone call, you could be connected to an international pay-per-call hotline than levy international charge just for connecting the number. You could be also charged per-minute fees if they can keep you on the phone for sometime. These charges will show up as international call when you receive your cell phone bill.
How does “one ring scam” Works
- You will receive a call with one ring, appears to be a missed call (number appears to be a domestic phone number – codes include: 268, 284, 473, 664, 649, 767, 809, 829, 849 and 876)
- When you return the call, instead of connecting to domestic number you will be connected to a phone number outside the United States
- You will be billed international call rates.
How to avoid “one ring scam”
- When you receive a call from unfamiliar area codes — don’t pick and don’t return the call
- Call your wireless provider and ask them to block outgoing international calls.
Resolve the issue or file a complaint
- If you a victim of phone scam, you can resolve the charges directly with your wireless provider and ask them to block outgoing international calls
- If issue is not resolved with your provider, you can file a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission(FTC) and the Federal Communications Commission(FCC), there is no charge for filing a complaint with FTC or FCC
Filing a Complaint with the Federal Trade Commission( FTC )
- File a complaint online http://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov/
- By phone: 1-888-CALL-FCC (1-888-225-5322); TTY: 1-888-TELL-FCC (1-888-835-5322); ASL: 1-844-432-2275
Filing a Complaint with the Federal Trade Commission (FTC)
- File a complaint online http://www.fcc.gov/complaints
- FTC toll-free at 1-877-382-4357 (voice) or 1-866-653-4261 (TTY)