A mobile operating system (Mobile OS) is the software operating system that operates on mobile devices such as mobile phones, smartphones, PDAs, and hand-held computers. Mobile OS is a mobile version of an operating system found on computers.
Here is the list of most common operating systems (OS) found on smartphones and it’s manufacturers.
- Symbian OS – Nokia’s Cell Phone operating system
- Android OS – Google’s free, open-source cellphone operating system
- iPhone OS (iOS ) – Apple’s mobile operating system
- BlackBerry OS – Proprietary mobile operating system, developed by Research In Motion for its BlackBerry
- Windows Phone 7 ( Windows Mobile ) – Mobile operating system developed by Microsoft
- Palm OS (Garnet OS)– mobile operating system initially developed by Palm
- Palm webOS – Mobile operating system from HP/Palm
- Bada – Mobile operating system developed by Samsung Electronics
- Maemo OS – from Nokia (open source, GPL)
- MeeGo OS – from Nokia and Intel (open source, GPL)