Jailbreaking iPhone (mobile phones) is now legal in US. The U.S. Copyright Office and Library of Congress announced that jailbreaking iPhones doesn’t violate copyright law.
Jailbreaking will allow you to install 3 party apps (which is not from iTunes App Store) on your iPhone. Jailbreaking is a process that allows your iPhone, iPad or iPod to run third-party apps by unlocking the operating system. Still you will be able to access App Store and iTunes with a jailbroken iPad, iPhone or iPod.
FCC said that jailbreaking merely enhanced the interoperability of the phone, and was thus legitimate under fair-use rules.
So, we will see what are the primary advantages and disadvantages of iPhone, iPod or iPad jailbreaking.
Advantages of Jailbreaking the iPhone
- Not only from iTunes App Store, you can download and install apps anywhere on the internet.
- iPhone will accept any SIM without any restriction on GSM networks ( any country) when unlocked. To unlock an iPhone, you first have to jailbreak it.
- You can use your iPhone in on another network (example T-mobile ). You don’t need to be in with AT&T contract.
- Even if the phone is messed up you can always restore it to its original condition by connecting a jailbroken phone to iTunes.
Disadvantages of Jailbreaking the iPhone
- Jailbreaking the iPhone will void its warranty with Apple.
- When you upgrade your iPhone’s OS you’ll have to jailbreak/unlock everytime.
- Apple says jailbreaking can severely degrade the iPhone’s stabilityand may crash.
- Apple says iPhone can become unstable and will not work reliably.
- Event after Jailbreaking you cannot use your iPhone in Verizon or Sprint network as there are not GSM carriers. AT&T Wireless and T-Mobile USA are the chief GSM carriers in the United States
can my ipod touch still have games even without jailbreaak?