Disk Defragmenter is a Microsoft windows utility which will help to reduce the amount of fragmentation in file systems(Hard disk), thus improve your computer or laptop performance considerably. Any file that is split into more than one piece is considered fragmented. Disk defragmenter will increase access speed by gathering all the scattered file fragments stored on a disk to occupy contiguous storage locations.
In Windows XP Disk Defragmenter is also used to improve system startup times. Make sure you close all open programs before you do the Disk Defragmenter. Try to do Defragment once in a while.
How to use Disk Defragmenter
- Access Disk Defragmenter by clicking: Start ==> Programs ==> Accessories ==> System Tools ==> Disk Defragmenter.
- Windows Disk Defragmenter program will open with the all drives listed.
- Click Analyze – This will show the disk Defragmenter analysis report( see picture).
- Blue graphical representation will show the contiguous and red will show the fragmented files.
- Click Defragment (this will take a while, depending on the size; once the process is complete you will see the fragmented files becomes less).
- Close the Disk Defragmenter window. You can start using your computer.