Nano – World’s cheapest car – costing just £1,200 – unveiled by Indian buyers of Jaguar . The price of the tiny Nano, made by the Indian conglomerate Tata, starts at just £1,250.
The base model has no air conditioning (other than the wind-down window variety) no power steering, no passenger-side mirror and only one windscreen wiper.
The Nano will be launched in India later in 2008. The car will be available in both standard and deluxe versions. Both versions will offer a wide range of body colours, and other accessories so that the car can be customised to an individual’s preferences.
Stylish, comfortable :
– Can comfortably seat four persons. Four doors with high seating position make ingress and egress easy.
– With a length of 3.1 metres, width of 1.5 metres and height of 1.6 metres, with adequate ground clearance, it can effortlessly manoeuvre on busy roads in cities as well as in rural areas.
– The Nano has a rear-wheel drive, all-aluminium, two-cylinder, 623 cc, 33 PS, multi point fuel injection petrol engine. This is the first time that a two-cylinder gasoline engine is being used in a car with single balancer shaft.
– The lean design strategy has helped minimise weight, which helps maximise performance per unit of energy consumed and delivers high fuel efficiency.
– Performance is controlled by a specially designed electronic engine management system.
– The Nano’s safety performance exceeds current regulatory requirements. With an all sheet-metal body, it has a strong passenger compartment, with safety features such as crumple zones, intrusion-resistant doors, seat belts, strong seats and anchorages, and the rear tailgate glass bonded to the body.
– Tubeless tyres further enhance safety.
– The Nano’s tailpipe emission performance exceeds regulatory requirements. In terms of overall pollutants, it has a lower pollution level than two-wheelers being manufactured in India today.
– The high fuel efficiency also ensures that the car has low carbon dioxide emissions, thereby providing the twin benefits of an affordable transportation solution with a low carbon footprint.