Following are the highlights of the Indian Railway Budget for 2008-09 presented by the Railway minister Lalu Prasad Yadav.
Passenger fares reduction
- One rupee discount per passenger for fares up to Rs.50 in non suburban Second Class (ordinary and mail/express)
- 5% discount across the board for passenger fares beyond Rs.50 for all non suburban Second Class (ordinary and mail/express).
- Increase in discount for travel in new design high capacity reserved coaches.
- Reduction in fare – AC-I : 7%; and AC-II : 4% (the reduction will be half for popular trains and during peak period).
- Termination of queues at ticket counters targeted in two years.
- Ticket booking on mobile phones; E-ticket for wait listed passengers.
- Increase in Unreserved Ticketing Systems counters to 15,000 and ATVMs to 6000.
Concessions for passengers
- Senior citizen concession for women enhanced to 50% from existing 30%.