With the theme song composed by maestro A R Rahman playing in the background, Congress president Sonia Gandhi inaugurated India’s most modern Rajiv Gandhi International Airport at Hyderabad.
Comparable to the best in the world, Rajiv Gandhi International Airport at Hyderabad is the India’s first airport to be operational under the public-private partnership (PPP) model.
- The spanking airport has been designed by Hong Kong architects Winston Shu and Gumund Stokke.
- The new Rajiv Gandhi International Airport at Shamsabad about 40kms away from the city.
- The Hyderabad airport boasts of a 4,260 metre runway that is the the longest in South East Asia.
- The non-polluting airport has 100,005 square metre glass encased terminal, that has promised natural light to passengers.
- First airport in the country that has no demarcation between international and domestic terminals.
- Can handle 12 million passengers in the first phase and 40 million passengers within a year.
- Can handle 1 million tons of cargo annually.
- Hyd airport has the tallest air traffic control (ATC) tower in the country at 75 metres
- Hyderabad Airport has been built at a cost of Rs 2,478 crore by GMR Hyderabad International Airport (GHIAL).
- GHIAL has build, own and operate the airport for 60 years.
GMR Hyderabad International Airport Limited (GHIAL) is a joint venture company promoted by GMR Group (63%) and Malaysia Airports Holding Berhad (11%), Government of Andhra Pradesh (13%) and Airports Authority of India (13%) as the other consortium partners.
the airport facilities are awesome,& the construction is excellent.