Lunar X Prize is a competition sponsored by Google to challenge and inspire innovators to develop low cost methods of robotic space exploration. Total prize for this competition is $30 Million. Google Lunar XPRIZE (GLXP) is also referred as Moon 2.0.
The challenge is to land a robotic spacecraft on the Moon, travel 500 meters, and transmit back HD video and images back to earth.
How to win the Google Lunar XPRIZE challenge ?
To win the Lunar XPRIZE money challenge, team must do the following 3 things successfully on moon surface:
1) Successfully place a spacecraft on the moon’s surface
2) Successfully landed spacecraft should travel at least 500 meters on the moon surface
3) Transmit high-definition video and images back to earth
Total price – $30 million
- Grand prize: $20 million
- Second place: $5 million
- Bonus prizes: $5 million
To win the prize, team should prove that 90% of their mission costs were funded by private sources. Teams now have until the end of 2017 to launch.
5 TEAMS have received approval for 2017 Lunar Mission
1. SPACEIL ( Israel ) – Launch is planned for second half of 2017
2. MOON EXPRESS ( USA ) – Launch is planned for 2017
3. SYNERGY MOON( International ) – Launch is planned for second half of 2017
4. TEAM INDUS( India ) – Launch is planned for December 28, 2017
5. HAKUTO ( Japan) – Launch is planned for 2017
Here is the list of teams who received approval for 2017 Lunar Mission – http://lunar.xprize.org/teams
for more information visit http://lunar.xprize.org/