Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud (Amazon EC2 ) is a cloud platform that allows users to rent virtual computers.
- Amazon Ec2 is a Virutal machine.
- Easily scalable – increase amount of Disk Space and RAM on your server very easily.
- Since it is extremely scalable platform, it reduces the cost of buying expensive servers.
- Maintenance and downtime is very less, servers are monitored by the Amazon.
- You have full control of your server computing resources.
- You can install any type of application on EC2 and can connect your existing IT infrastructure.
- You can spin a new server in minutes.
- Pay only for capacity that you use.
Amazon Simple Storage Service (Amazon S3) is a data storage service on the cloud (online file storage web service). It allows you to store and retrieve large amounts of data from anywhere on the web.
- Amazon S3 is often used in conjunction with EC2 for data storage purposes.
- It is cost effective and faster.
- You only pay for what you use.
- Amazon S3 is great for storing and accessing media files ( image, audio, video, etc)
- Backup – backup, archiving and disaster recovery is taken care by Amazon, so you don’t need to worry.
- Access files from your other sites on the web.
- You can store and access any amount of data inexpensively and securely
Amazon S3 is ideal for websites with static content ( html files, images, videos, java script etc).
Amazon EC2 is idle for dynamic websites with server-side scripting and database access.