Normally for common cold and cough, medicines won’t make your cold go away completely. The following are tips to help you feel better when you have a cold:
- Stay home and rest, especially while you have a fever.
- Don’t smoke and avoid secondhand smoke.
- Drink plenty of fluids like water, fruit juices and clear soups.
- Don’t drink alcohol.
- Gargle with warm salt water a few times a day to relieve a sore throat. Throat sprays or lozenges may also help relieve the pain.
- Use salt water (saline) nose drops to help loosen mucus and moisten the tender skin in your nose.