iPhone will archive your Gmail messages instead of deleting it, if you use OS4.x (“swipe to archive” instead of “swipe to delete” ). You can change the settings if you don’t want to archive Gmail messages, i.e you want to move to Trash folder on your iPhone.
iPhone OS – Archiving vs Deleting Gmail
- iPhone Software version 3.x will delete your Gmail messages instead of archiving.
- iPhone Software version 4.x will archive your Gmail messages instead of deleting.
Archiving and deleting Gmail on iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch
- Open the Settings app on your device
- Tap Mail, Contacts, Calendars
- Tap your Gmail Account
- Set Archive Messages to OFF ( delete your Gmail messages instead of archiving.)
Note: This setup instructions is for Apple devices running software version 4.0.