Fujitsu announced the start of consumer sales in Japan of the world’s first color e-paper mobile terminal, FLEPia (see below pic). It is available for purchase from Fujitsu Frontech’s online store “FrontechDirect”.
Fujitsu FLEPia is termed as Amazon’s Kindle 2 killer as it is a color electronic paper reader. Amazon announced latest version of Kindle called Kindle 2 in February 2009.
FLEPia is the first ever mobile information terminal to feature color electronic paper (color e-paper). FLEPia’s size is 8-inch (123.6mm x 164.8mm), which is available in White or Black colors. FLEPia is developed by Fujitsu Frontech and Fujitsu Laboratories.
Fujitsu FLEPia – Key Features
1. Lightweight, thin and high-performance: 8-inch screen displays up to 260,000 colors in high-definition
2. Power-efficient color e-paper; enables up to 40-hour continuous battery operation
3. Feature-rich external interface (Japan: Bluetooth, high-speed wireless LAN)
4. User-friendly operation: touch screen, digital stylus, scroll key, function buttons
5. Two e-book viewers included as standard features (XMDF and .book formats)
6. Equipped with Windows CE5.0 (Japanese version)
At $1000 and with folks complaining about the cost of the Kindle @ $360, I hardly think its a Kindle Killer