Following are the highlights of the Indian Railway Budget for 2008-09 presented by the Railway minister Lalu Prasad Yadav.
Passenger fares reduction
- One rupee discount per passenger for fares up to Rs.50 in non suburban Second Class (ordinary and mail/express)
- 5% discount across the board for passenger fares beyond Rs.50 for all non suburban Second Class (ordinary and mail/express).
- Increase in discount for travel in new design high capacity reserved coaches.
- Reduction in fare – AC-I : 7%; and AC-II : 4% (the reduction will be half for popular trains and during peak period).
- Termination of queues at ticket counters targeted in two years.
- Ticket booking on mobile phones; E-ticket for wait listed passengers.
- Increase in Unreserved Ticketing Systems counters to 15,000 and ATVMs to 6000.
Concessions for passengers
- Senior citizen concession for women enhanced to 50% from existing 30%.
- Free Monthly Seasonal Ticket to girl students up to graduation level in place of 12th standard and for boys up to 12th standard in place of 10th standard.
- 10 new Garib Raths to be introduced.
- 53 pairs of new trains.
- Extension of trains : 16 pairs.
- Increase in frequency : 11 pairs.
- 300 additional services in Mumbai suburban.Passenger Services: Amenities
- Special train from Anandpur Sahib and Patna Sahib to Gurudwara Sachkhand Sahib during tercentenary function of Shri Guru Granth Sahib of Gurta Gaddi.
- Special train between Pune and Delhi for Commonwealth Youth Games being held in Pune from 12th-18th October this year.
- Provision of on-line coach indication display board; on-line train arrival departure information board; on-line reservation availability information board.
- Provision of discharge-free green toilets in all 36,000 coaches in XI Plan period at a cost of about Rs.4,000 cr.
- LHB design coaches for all Rajdhani and Shatabdi trains over next few years.
Provision of LHB coaches with stainless steel bogies in Mail/Express trains.