Ratan Tata, chairman, Tata Motors, unveiled the people’s car Nano at the Auto Expo, a three metre long, four seater which will sell for 100,000 rupees – around $2,500 – around £1,200..
Nano is powered by
30 bhp engine
Will deliver mileage of about 20 kpl.
The car would be commercially launched in the second half of 2008, and would be produced at the Singur plant in West Bengal.
“This is a proud moment for India. It demonstrates India’s technological and entrepreneurial ability,” Commerce Minister of India Kamal Nath told reporters on Thursday.
“It fulfils the need of the common Indian who aspires to move from a two-wheeler to a four-wheeler,” he added.
Tata, which is in line to buy the Jaguar and Land Rover marques from Ford in the next few weeks, said the Nano will bring the “comfort and safety” of a new car within the reach of thousands of families.
- Rs 1 lakh car, Jaguar can co-exist: Tata
- Tata’s small car : Difficult to stick to the price of Rs 1 lakh
- Why auto makers are chasing small car segments in India ?
- Bombay House: Tata headquarters
- Will TATA secure Jaguar and Land Rover off Ford’s hands?
- Many faces of Tata Group of Companies
- Tanushree Dutta, Unveiled Diamond Studded Tennis Ball for Wimbledon Champion
- ICC Unveiled World Twenty20 Trophy
- Tata cars are the worst passenger cars in South Africa : Survey
- Car owners in Mumbai to pay for using road : Congestion Tax